The Hidden Cost of Unresolved Betrayal Trauma in the Workplace: Why Companies Should Invest in Specialized Support Programs
Human Resource professionals are the backbone of any organization, responsible for the wellbeing and performance of employees. But what happens when an employee is grappling with something as complex and debilitating as betrayal trauma? The impact on both the individual and the organization can be significant. This post sheds light on the hidden costs of unresolved betrayal trauma and how investing in specialized support programs can make a world of difference.
The Business Impact of Unaddressed Betrayal Trauma
When betrayal trauma goes unaddressed, the ripple effects on business metrics are alarming:
- 16+ days of lost productivity per employee per year: Imagine the cumulative effect on your organization’s bottom line.
- Up to 30% higher turnover compared to the national average: The cost of replacing an employee can be up to two times their annual salary when you factor in recruitment, training, and lost productivity during the transition.
- Thousands of dollars per employee annually in incremental healthcare claims: The financial burden extends beyond just lost productivity and turnover; it also manifests in the form of increased healthcare costs due to symptoms, illness, conditions, even disease resulting from the trauma of betrayal.
The Personal Toll on Employees
Your employees are your most valuable asset, and they deserve effective resources to face life’s challenges. The toll of unresolved betrayal trauma on an individual is immense:
- Deterioration in the quality of work: Employees may find it difficult to concentrate, leading to mistakes and reduced output.
- Lack of motivation and drive: The emotional toll can sap the enthusiasm and energy necessary for creative and challenging tasks.
- Withdrawal from team collaboration: Betrayal trauma often leads to trust issues, making teamwork and collaboration challenging.
- Increased presenteeism due to anxiety and depression: Employees might be physically present but mentally absent, further exacerbating the loss in productivity.
The Unique Nature of Betrayal Trauma
Betrayal trauma is unlike typical experiences of grief and loss. It often shatters an individual’s worldview, requiring specialized care for effective healing. Without the right support, employees are likely to remain stuck in cycles of rumination, anger, fear, an inability to trust, and are unable to perform at their peak.
The Solution: Specialized Support Programs
There are research based, proven and predictable techniques for processing betrayal trauma and restoring physical, mental and emotional wellness. By learning more about these programs, you’re not just helping your employees; you’re also protecting your organization’s productivity and retention rates.
Invisible but Not Insignificant
The lost productivity stemming from betrayal trauma often goes unnoticed—employees struggle quietly, their grief, anger, and emotional turmoil invisible but palpable. As HR professionals, recognizing these invisible struggles is the first step toward meaningful intervention.
Let’s Wrap it Up
Unresolved betrayal trauma has a far-reaching impact on both employees and the organization. It affects self-worth, engagement, productivity, and even healthcare costs. As HR professionals, your organization looks to you to provide the resources and support that your employees need.
That’s why specialized programs for betrayal trauma create a healthier, more productive work environment that benefits everyone involved. The hidden costs of betrayal trauma undermine an organization’s success. Yet, it’s something that provides a win-win scenario when effectively addressed.
Dr. Debi-A Trusted Resource in an Untrusting Niche
Dr. Debi Silber, Founder and CEO of The PBT (Post Betrayal Transformation) Institute and National Forgiveness Day is an award-winning speaker, bestselling author, holistic psychologist, a health, mindset and personal development expert who helps (along with her incredibly gifted Certified PBT-Post Betrayal Transformation Coaches and Practitioners) a predictable, proven multi-pronged approach to help people heal (physically, mentally and emotionally) from the trauma of betrayal.